John Uzzell Edwards
John Uzzell-Edwards was born in Deri in the Rhymney Valley, South Wales in 1937. He was awarded the Granada Arts Fellowship by York University in 1966 and in 1968 received the Prix de Rome at the British School in Rome, where he was able to study for a year.
His Welsh homeland was where he found his true calling however, so he returned to Wales and spent much of his life in Tenby, drawing inspiration from the Welsh landscape. Edwards’ work is to do with pure painting, not picture making, and is driven by an exploration of Celtic forms, inspired by Celtic crosses and stone inscriptions, mediaeval tiles, and the lettering and carpet pages of holy books and ancient manuscripts.
During his career he exhibited widely both nationally and internationally, becoming one of the most important Welsh artists of the 20th century, and at the time of his death in 2014, a joint exhibition with his son Charles Uzzell-Edwards (Pure Evil) was being planned at Tenby Museum and Art Gallery. As a result of his passing, the exhibition was amended to include a broader selection of his life’s work.
A selection of John and Charles’ work is now part of the permanent collection at Twr y Felin Hotel, St Davids.